Browser extensions to make GitHub better
April 20, 2017
We usually spend a lot of time reading and surfing others open source project on GitHub. It turned out, this process can be much better. Here is a short list of most useful extensions you might be interested in.
Navigate through projects on GitHub.com efficiently
Basically jump to npm package or filename through
- Website https://octolinker.github.io/
- Available for Chrome, Firefox and Opera
Hide dotfiles from the file browser
In my personal project i do have 7 dotfiles on one actual
index.js. And those files are usually the same, so its not very useful to see them every time.
- Repository https://github.com/sindresorhus/hide-files-on-github
- Available for Chrome and Opera
Chrome extension that simplifies the GitHub interface and adds useful features
It's like reddit enhancement suite, but for github. Check it out.
- Repository https://github.com/sindresorhus/refined-github
- Available for Chrome and Safari
Usually, when you need to investigate project's dependecies, you have to look through
package.json and octolinker can probably help with that, but there is a better option. npmhub allows you to see list of all dependencies and devDependencies used in the project. You will find that list below the README.
- Repository https://github.com/npmhub/npmhub
- Available for Chrome only
Hold on. Thats not all extensions available, rather ones i found most useful. Here is curated awesome list for all other extenstions https://github.com/stefanbuck/awesome-browser-extensions-for-github
GitHub, place where i fork.
your oss'ed Vladimir Starkov